Mutual funds are one of the most sought-after investment instruments in India. It is regulated by the Securities and Exchange Board of India (SEBI), the statutory body regulating and setting the guidelines for mutual funds in India. Whenever investors purchase any mutual fund, a corresponding folio number is generated. You can track the performance and various other information of your fund using the Folio Number. However, before going into details of how you can leverage the folio number to check the status of the funds, let’s have a look at what the folio number is!
What is Folio Number?
When a mutual fund investor invests a sum into a mutual fund scheme, a unique folio number is generated by the asset management company (AMC) against the Permanent Account Number (PAN). It is also known as Portfolio Number.
For any investment in mutual funds, a PAN number is a mandatory requirement, and is a crucial part of the KYC (know your customer) information. Each security investment has a dedicated mutual fund folio number; however, one can always ask their AMC to generate a consolidated folio number for all of their mutual fund investments. Nowadays, one can get the details of their mutual fund investment using folio numbers without much hassle. There are a number of websites and mobile apps available out there, where one can check their mutual fund transactions and status using the folio number.
How to Check Mutual Fund Status with Folio Number?
Here are a few ways that one can use to check the details of how to check mutual fund status with folio number, and its performance:
- Website or App: There are a number of websites and apps that allow you to invest and track your mutual funds like Finity. It is a mutual fund investment platform that also allows you to export your existing portfolios and keep a track of their performance. You can easily keep yourself updated about your investment at your fingertips. You could also get recommendations based on your goals and risk profile. Redemption of your investments is also quick and easy on the Finity app which you could download on the Playstore or the App store .
- Get in touch with the AMC: One can also call the customer care of the registered fund house or fund managers to get the details of their mutual funds. The customer care executive of the mutual fund house will ask for the PAN number and folio number of the fund to match the authenticity; and once it is verified, they will provide the details of the respective funds.
- Contact the broker: People often approach brokers to invest in the mutual funds on behalf of them. In order to check the performance of the fund, one can always approach their broker. The value of funds is dependent largely on market movements, and brokers have real-time updates regarding the funds.
- Fund’s website: Every fund house that offers fund investment options has dedicated mutual fund sites where one can log in and get the details of the performance and status of their funds using folio number.
- Consolidated Account Statements: In India, there are two depositories that collect and analyse the investment of an individual. These are the National Securities Depository Limited (NSDL), and the Central Depository Services (India) Limited (CDSL). If you own a Demat account and invest in stocks, the depositories send a monthly consolidated account statement through email with the details of investment across funds.
One can use any of the above-mentioned methods to check the performance of funds through folio numbers. If someone purchases multiple schemes from a fund house, the folio number remains the same to ease out the handling of finances. Since the folio number is linked with the PAN card, there is no need to be worried. However, one should always keep the record of their investment in one place so that the financials don’t get cluttered.