What is SWAYAM?
India has given many constitutional rights to its citizens. One of the major rights given to all its citizens is their right to education. However, the reality even today is that there are millions in our country who do not have proper access to quality education. In order to bridge this gap, the Government has introduced an online portal SWAYAM. Swayam stands for Study Web of Active-Learning for Young Aspiring Minds. This initiative was started to give better access to education for everyone across the country. The idea is to give equal opportunities as well as quality education to everyone through the digital mode to maximize its reach. All the courses on SWAYAM are curated by the best teachers across the country.
What are the objectives of SWAYAM?
The initiative SWAYAM was launched with a definite set of objectives. These objectives are mentioned below.
- Create suitable content of courses up to the post-graduate level.
- Provide recommendation of institutions on SWAYAM courses for Choice Based Credit System.
- Create an online platform for multiple courses.
- Provide certification for online learning
- Addressing various needs and concerns of the students who study in universities and colleges.
Who is eligible for the benefits of SWAYAM?
SWAYAM is an initiative to provide affordable and quality education to every citizen in every corner of the country. To meet this objective, the courses on SWAYAM can be applied by any individual without any barriers of age, qualification, caste, location, etc. It is, however, important to review the eligibility requirements for the individual courses offered on the SWAYAM portal.
What are the features of SWAYAM?
The various features of SWAYAM that make it a very important aspect of the Indian education system are mentioned below.
- Swayam portal offers courses from Class 9 to post-graduate level.
- The courses on the SWAYAM portal is based on four main quadrants and includes
- Video lectures
- Reading material specially curated by experts that can be downloaded and/ or printed.
- Self-assessments in the form of tests and quizzes
- An online platform for clearing any confusion or doubts through detailed discussions.
- The courses on this portal are on the following subjects,
- Arts and Recreation
- The courses offered on SWAYAm are available free of cost
- SWAYAM Portal also provides certification upon completion of the course. For this certification, the students need to pay nominal fees.
- UGC recognized the transfer of credits on the academic record of students for courses down on SWAYAM.
What are the National Coordinates of SWAYAM?
The SWAYAM portal has courses offered by many reputed institutions of our country. The list of National Coordinators of SWAYAM is mentioned below.
- AICTE (All India Council for Technical Education) for self-paced and international courses
- NPTEL (National Programme on Technology Enhanced Learning) for Engineering
- UGC (University Grants Commission) for non-technical post-graduation education
- CEC (Consortium for Educational Communication) for under-graduate education
- NCERT (National Council of Educational Research and Training) for school education
- NIOS (National Institute of Open Schooling) for school education
- IGNOU (Indira Gandhi National Open University) for out-of-school students
- IIMB (Indian Institute of Management, Bangalore) for management studies
- NITTTR (National Institute of Technical Teachers Training and Research) for Teacher Training program
What are the benefits of SWAYAM?
The pandemic has caused major issues in the education of millions of students who have virtually no access to schools. With the increase in the use of the internet across the country, a centralized portal for access to good quality education is the answer to the needs of suck students. The prime benefits of the SWAYAM portal are mentioned hereunder.
- Access to top-class education and other related resources to the underprivileged
- Availability of education without the need to pay any exorbitant fees
- Helping in the development of the society by providing quality education to every citizen of the country.
What is the process to log in to SWAYAM?
In order to login into the SWAYAM portal, the users have to first register for the same. The process for registration is given below.
- Visit the official website of the SWAYAM portal and click on ‘Register’
- The users will be directed to a new page where they will be required to enter their basic personal details.
- After entering the required details, they will have to enter a username and a password.
- The final step for registration is to verify the ID through a registered and valid email id and click on ‘Create’.
After registering on the SWAYAM portal, the process to login to the same is given below.
- The first step to login into the SWAYAM portal is visiting the official website of the same.
- Users will then be required to click on ‘Sign In’ and provide the username and password used at the time of registration on the portal.
- The final step is to click on ‘Sign in’ after providing the valid details.
After logging in to the SWAYAM portal, users can get access to all the National coordinators and their study materials as well as their credit accumulated over their course period.
SWAYAM was launched on our Independence Day in 2016 as a very important gift for the people of the country. This platform was launched on the premise of bringing education to people rather than people to education. This platform has proved to be a great opportunity for millions to have access to over 2000 online courses across various fields.
SWAYAM has been launched by the Government of India to provide quality digital or online classes to every resident of the country.
The certificate for completion of the course will be awarded to the students after completion of the exams and declaration of the results (four weeks after completion of exams). Students will have to pay a nominal fee for getting the certification.
For any queries or issues related to the SWAYAM portal, students can contact the necessary authorities in the following manner.
Helpline number – 18001219025
Email – firstname.lastname@example.org
SWAYAM portal can be accessed through their website or through the mobile application available for Android and iOS systems.