The Government of India has repeatedly taken measures to offer the best possible care and safety for its citizens. From implementing developmental and infrastructure reforms in the healthcare business to providing social security through different subsidized health insurance programmes, the Indian government has left no stone unturned in demonstrating compassion for its residents. During the 2015 Budget Speech, India’s then-Finance Minister, Late Mr Arun Jaitley, announced three social security programmes. These initiatives attempted to give social security to persons working in India’s informal economy. Pradhan Mantri Suraksha Bima Yojana was also one of those three programmes (PMSBY).
The objective behind launching Pradhan Mantri Suraksha Bima Yojana
The Pradhan Mantri Suraksha Bima Yojana (PMSBY), as previously stated, is one of the social security plans launched by the Government of India during the 2015 Budget Speech in Parliament. The PMSBY system is a government-backed accident insurance policy that protects persons between 18 and 70 from accidental death and disability. This policy is highly beneficial in preparing a person for unexpected situations by giving accident insurance coverage of up to 2 lakhs at a meager annual cost of 12 rupees.
Characteristics of Pradhan Mantri Suraksha Bima Yojana
The essential characteristics of the PMSBY insurance plan are enlisted as follows –
- Coverage is valid for one year and is renewed every year.
- This programme is open to both Indians and non-resident Indians.
- Coverage of up to 2 lakhs against death and complete or partial disability due to the accident.
- The yearly policy will apply from June 1st to May 31st.
- To receive the benefits of this programme, each member must pay a yearly premium of $12.
- A yearly premium of 12 will be deducted automatically from the individual’s bank account.
Facilities of Pradhan Mantri Suraksha Bima Yojana
The PMSBY insurance system will cover the following items and exclude the following:
- The plan will cover the claimant’s accidental death.
- If the applicant commits suicide, the programme will not cover their death.
- The plan will cover the individual’s death as a result of murder.
- Permanent complete disability, which includes the loss of both eyes, hands, or feet, will be covered.
- Permanent partial impairment, such as the loss of one eyes, hands, or legs, will indeed be reimbursed.
- In the event of accidental death or permanent complete disability, a compensation of Rs. 2 lakhs would be granted. In the case of partial disability, payment of one lakh rupees would be provided.
Eligibility for Pradhan Mantri Suraksha Bima Yojana
Individuals between 18 and 70 years old are eligible to participate in the PM Suraksha Bima Yojana. These advantages are available to both Indians and non-resident Indians. The claim amount, however, must be paid in Indian rupees only.
The following are the essential elements to keep in mind while determining an individual’s eligibility for this scheme:
- They should have a personal or shared bank account in their name.
- For KYC purposes, an Aadhar number is required.
- If a person has many bank accounts, they can only register from one of them.
- In a joint account, all account holders can participate in the plan using the same bank account.
How to apply for the scheme?
The PMSBY plan will be managed by general public-sector and commercial insurers such as ICICI Lombard. To become a beneficiary under this plan, you can apply with these insurance providers by SMS or Net Banking. All you have to do is download the PMSBY from the Government website and present it to a bank or insurance provider with the completed form.
Steps for enrolling in PMSBY through SMS
- Call the toll-free number of the onboarding institution or bank. Many banks such as ICICI and Axis bank provides such cover.
- An authorization notice will be sent to you.
- Type “PMSBY Y” in response to the activation notification.
- A confirmation message will be sent to you.
- The bank will handle your request about the information in your savings account.
How to file a designated claim?
In the event of the beneficiary’s accidental death or incapacity, they or their nominee may claim the PMSBY insurance system. What has to be done is as follows:
- Contact the bank or insurance company where you acquired the programme.
- Obtain and complete a claim form. It may request your name, address, contact information, and information about the accident. The PMSBY claim form may be downloaded on the Jansuraksha website.
- Submit the completed claim form together with any necessary supporting documentation, such as a death or disability certificate.
- Once the insurer has verified the papers you supplied, the claim money will be sent to the selected bank account.
The PMSBY scheme’s essence is to offer residents social welfare through personal accidental protection at a substantially lower cost than the current market rate. It is a yearly programme that must be updated by auto-debit of the premium cost of $12. When the insured or their nominee files a claim, they will get a predetermined sum of 1 lakh or two lakhs.
As it can be seen, the main benefit of the scheme is for the underprivileged section of the society who doesn’t have the due insurance coverage for accidents and related ailments. By opening a savings account and depositing a small annual premium of INR 12, individuals will be able to benefit from this scheme.
So, to benefit from the scheme, the individuals are required to call the toll free number of their respective bank. Their bank should provide them with multiple ways through which they should be able to complete the process.